Eagle Nest, New Mexico, 2012. “People like to drive because driving is actually and symbolically an almost perfect mechanism for escape…there is probably no human being who does not have troubles, real or imagined, from which he at times feels the need to flee.” George R. Stewart.

PHB

My Photo
Brooklin, Maine, United States
We own a 1975 GMC Sierra Grande 15 in Maine and an '86 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe 10 in West Texas. Also a pair of '97 Volvo 850 wagons. Average age in the fleet is 25 years--we're recyclers. I've published 2 novels: THE LAW OF DREAMS (2006), and THE O'BRIENS (2012), and 2 collections of stories NIGHT DRIVING (1987), and TRAVELLING LIGHT (2013). Novel # 3, KARIN, will be out from Pantheon (US) and House of Anansi (Canada) in March 2016. More of my book stuff at www.peterbehrens.org I was a Fellow at the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study for 2012-13. I've been teaching at Colorado College, Wichita State, and in the MFA program at Queens University of Charlotte.

Friday, August 9, 2013

E.B. White, Maine, and Home-Coming

The Penobscot Narrows Bridge across the Penobscot R., a couple miles before
Orland & the Narrarmissic R. 

"What happens to me when I cross the Piscataqua and plunge rapidly into Maine at a cost of seventy-five cents [1955] in tolls? I cannot describe it. I do not ordinarily spy a Partridge in a pear tree, or three French hens, but I do have the sensation of having received a gift from a true love. And when, five hours later, I dip down across the Narramissic and look back at the tiny town of Orland, the white spire of its church against the pale-red sky stirs me in a way that Chartres could never do. It was the Narramissic that once received as fine a lyrical tribute as was ever paid to a river --a line in a poem by a schoolboy, who wrote of it, 'It flows through Orland every day.' I never cross that mild stream without thinking of his testimonial to the constancy, the dependability of small, familiar rivers." 
                                                                        -E.B. White, Home-Coming
                                             Polar Bear Swim, Center Harbor  ©2013 Basha Burwell

No comments:

Post a Comment