Yes, the road.

Yes, the road.
Eagle Nest, New Mexico. “People like to drive because driving is actually and symbolically an almost perfect mechanism for escape…there is probably no human being who does not have troubles, real or imagined, from which he at times feels the need to flee.” George R. Stewart.

PHB

My photo
Brooklin, Maine, United States
We own a 1975 GMC Sierra Grande 15 in Maine and a 1986 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe 10 in West Texas. Also a pair of 1997 Volvo 850 wagons. Average age in the fleet is 28 years--we're recycling. I've published 3 novels: THE LAW OF DREAMS (2006), THE O'BRIENS (2012), and CARRY ME (2016). Also 2 short story collections: NIGHT DRIVING(1987) and TRAVELLING LIGHT (2013). More of my literary life is at www.peterbehrens.org I was a Fellow at the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study for 2012-13. I'm an adjunct professor at Colorado College and in the MFA program at Queens University of Charlotte. In 2015-16 I was a Fellow at Harvard University's Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study. The Autoliterate office is in Car Talk Plaza in Harvard Square, 2 floors above Dewey Cheatem & Howe. SUBSCRIBE TO THE AUTOLITERATE DAILY EMAIL by hitting the button to the right.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Brookwood's for sale again!

I bought a 1969 Chevrolet Brookwood station wagon in Santa Barbara in 1987. It had 22k original miles on the 350 engine. I loved that enormous whale of a car and I took care of it for the next 16 years. Left it in SB when I moved back to Maine--my pal, SB car genius Frank M., took care of it for me. Finally storing it was getting to be a problem and I  did not want to drive it back to Maine and deal with east coast road salt and rust. So I sold it. Had it sell it fast and it was just on the cusp before cars of that era, especially station wagons, became somewhat cool. Sold it for $1500. Saw it for sale a while back on ebay but by the time I contacted the seller it was gone. Now it's up again on eBay, here. Asking $6k. I loved that car and would buy it again in a second EXCEPT between BB & I there are already 2 aged Volvos in the family, plus 2 pickups (1976 GMC in ME, 1987 Chevrolet in TX). If you're looking for a very clean car.....buy the 'Brook, and let me borrow it sometime.  When I had it, I kept it very stock, and it was a very plain jane car (except for that 350): no power brakes, dog dish hubcaps, AM radio, etc. Handled like a....wheelbarrow with a big engine. Beautiful ride though. Used to drive it up the PCH between Santa Barbara, Big Sur & Pescadero two or three times a year. Often overnighted at Deetjen's. Sure miss that road. And Pfeiffer Beach. Oh I am having California yearnings here in the Netherlands. It's a wonderful civilized country but no blue sky. Looks like a costly set of mag wheels on the Brook now which I would probably change back to stock painted steel. And there's an Edelbrock carb, and a few other more-or-less-standard-these-days upgrade tweaks under the hood. But it is and always was an oddly beautiful car, for such a whale, and looks like it has been well maintained since I foolishly let it go.  If you're thinking of buying it, and want to look into getting it shipped, I'd advise going with Safe Way Auto transport: they're miles better than the others, totally reliable, with reasonable prices. If you buy the car, do let me know.



2 comments:

  1. ohhhh.....wishing we had kept it. ( BB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so dreamy... nice lines, muscly. love the way she sits.

    ReplyDelete